> EAW SMS5 weather-resistant speakers
EAW SMS5 weather-resistant speakers
I saw these tiny EAW speakers while I was walking around the Haji Lane area a couple of weeks back. I must say that I was pretty pleased and surprised to hear that these speakers could really push it. The low-frequency driver is apparently made of carbon fiber and is fitted with a foam surround and treated to resist moisture. The high-frequency section features a 110º x 110º constant directivity horn which is driven by a Ferrofluid® cooled, 0.75″ soft dome tweeter. This is nothing new. I have seen various models of Yamaha do the very same thing. The cross over point is at 3.0 kHz and the high-pass section is protected with a circuit based on a low-value/low-mass filament resistor that limits the power sent to the tweeter driver. That is good because sometimes over-driving a speaker can fry a tweeter. Bad.
The vented enclosure formed from polystyrene foam that is weather resistant. Threaded metal sockets are moulded into the cabinet to facilitate quick, safe deployment of the SMS5, as a single unit or in arrays, using specially designed accessory mounting hardware. Now that is something great!
Specifications-wise, this is what it has to offer, as stated above:
- 5 inch high-efficiency carbon fiber woofer
- 110º x 110º constant directivity horn with Ferrofluid® cooled, 0.75 inch soft dome tweeter
- Built-in low inductance passive crossover
- Lightweight, UV/weather resistant, high density polystyrene, trapezoidal shaped enclosure for multiple applications and minimum visual intrusion
- Integrated mounting points for use with optional mounting hardware
- Articulated wall-mount support bracket included
I like these speakers. Depending on how much they cost, I might get myself a pair or even recommend them for installs. And, being able to take a power handling of 175 watts at 4 ohms, I like these already!